As we transition to summer here in New England, I find myself relishing the quiet hours right after sunrise. The silence is filled with precious sounds: leaves rustling in the wind, a gentle gurgle of the stream along the roadside, high pitched bird songs and the bleating of sheep as they prepare to graze in our neighbor’s field. While it seems the world is asleep during these meditative hours, the stillness is filled with movement and change. Nature’s rhythms stay steady even as my family’s schedule changes with the end of school and the beginning of summer activities. A brisk morning walk, surrounded by the sounds of silence, is all I need to welcome each day.
We enjoyed these Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze & Blueberries with company last week. A rich lemon cupcake is topped with a sugary lemon glaze topped with juicy blueberries. They are a treat worthy of the season. Keep them on hand throughout the summer to garnish with all your favorite fruits.
I look forward to seeing you in my kitchen, gathering flavors, soon.
Please watch for my next post in mid-July. Happy 4th to those who celebrate.
Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze and Blueberries
Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- For serving:
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Cream the melted butter and granulated sugar together in a standing mixer or by hand. Add the eggs, one at a time. Beat gently until they are fully incorporated. Add the lemon extract. Beat again.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add it to the bowl with the other ingredients and beat gently until blended. Add the buttermilk. Beat again, gently, until blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake cups.
- Place in oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the glaze:
- While the cupcakes are baking, cream together the butter and confectioner’s sugar. This can be done in a mixer or by hand. Gradually beat in the half and half, adding enough to make a thick glaze. Mix in the lemon extract.
- Keep at room temperature until the cupcakes cool.
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Spread the glaze on the cooled cupcakes using a knife or pastry bag. Divide the glaze evenly between the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Garnish with blueberries.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Once glazed, the cupcakes should be kept refrigerated in airtight container. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- To have some extra on hand, make a double batch of cupcake batter & cupcakes, then freeze half before adding the glaze. When ready to use, defrost, glaze and garnish with your favorite fruits.
- Consider serving these with Strawberries Marinated in Honey and Wine.